For assistance with damage caused by the remnants of Hurricane Ida, visit:

Report damage to the city

Financial assistance

FEMA assistance

President Biden has approved an expedited Major Disaster Declaration that will help provide federal financial relief for New Yorkers recovering from the flooding damage caused by the remnants of Hurricane Ida. The counties covered by the declaration include: Bronx, Queens, Kings (Brooklyn), and Richmond (Staten Island).

To apply for disaster assistance, please visit or call FEMA at (800) 621-3362

Assistance for the undocumented

  • Governor Hochul and Mayor de Blasio announced that funds are available for undocumented survivors of Ida. Call the ONA Hotline at 1-800-566-7636 for help on where to apply, or visit the governor’s website for full details.

Tips from FEMA

State and federal officials who are helping New Yorkers recover from the Remnants of Hurricane Ida have some tips to speed disaster aid.

Registering online is the fastest way to access FEMA assistance. Download the FEMA app or visit Not only can you register here, you can check the status of your claim, upload requested documents, and access FEMA downloadable pamphlets and other aids.

You can also register by telephone calling 800-621-3362. Individuals who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY should call 800-462-7585 directly. Those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS) may call 800-621-3362. These toll-free telephone numbers are operating from 7 a.m. to 11 p.m. (local time) seven days a week until further notice.

You will need to have the following available:

  • A current phone number where you can be contacted;
  • Your address at the time of the disaster and the address where you are now staying;
  • Your Social Security number, if available;
  • A general list of damages and losses; and
  • If insured, the insurance policy number, or the agent and company name.

Remember, registering with voluntary agencies does not register you with FEMA.

You should register for any uninsured and underinsured damage or losses resulting from the storm and flooding. Your insurance coverage may not cover everything. However, FEMA disaster assistance, by law, cannot duplicate insurance coverage.

Disaster assistance covers a wide range of losses. Along with rental assistance and assistance for home repairs, disaster-related losses include damaged or lost personal property that may include anything from a wheelchair to a major appliance.

Stay in touch and keep appointments after you have registered for disaster assistance. A FEMA inspector will make an appointment to visit your home. Make every effort to be at the damaged property for the visit, and call if you need to change the appointment.

Return all forms promptly. After registering, you may receive a request to fill out a U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest loan application. Fill it out and return the forms promptly or visit a Disaster Recovery Center (DRC) for SBA assistance. Even if you are not interested in a loan, complete the loan package and return it. Filling out the SBA application is a necessary step to being considered for other forms of disaster assistance; storm victims are not obligated to accept an SBA loan. If referred, applicants may apply online using the Electronic Loan Application (ELA) via the SBA’s secure website at

If you have questions after registering you can review your case online or visit a Disaster Recovery Center to meet face-to-face with recovery specialists. If you have disaster aid questions, need help filling out an SBA loan, want to check on the status of your application, or need information on how to re-build better and stronger, you can talk with recovery specialists at a DRC.