Bronx, NY –Bronx Borough President Vanessa L. Gibson joined Interim President of the Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation, Robert Walsh, to announce the following nominations to the Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation Board of Directors. They are as follows: Nallely DeJesus, Vice President of PWP Equities Corporation and Vice President of National Supermarkets Association; Phillip Grant, Chief Executive Officer of the Hunts Point Market; Winston Peters, Business & Bronx Strategist – MyUberLife Consulting, Adjunct Professor – Manhattan College and Program Director of Entrepreneurs @ MC; and Lourdes Zapata, President/CEO, South Bronx economic development nonprofit corporation and Julio Reyes, Branch Manager in Retail Banking at Citizens Bank in New York City.
“We are excited about the leadership we see in each of our nominees,” said Bronx Borough President Vanessa L. Gibson. “Nallely, Phillip, Winston, Lourdes, and Julio represent some of the best and brightest in our Borough- each are committed to our vision of empowering, uplifting and supporting our small business community here in the Bronx. I look forward to seeing these dynamic nominees in their new roles and working with them to ensure our business community receive the tools they need to succeed in this new economy.”
“We are building from the strength of the BOEDC Board and these new members will add to the momentum we are generating in getting more capital out to our businesses in the Bronx,” said Rob Walsh, Interim President of the Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation.
“I want to thank Borough President Gibson for her leadership and the opportunity to lead this Board. I am also excited to be working with these five new individuals who bring a wealth of expertise, talent, and vision,” said Clarence Stanley Jr, Interim Chair of the Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation.
Generally, the role of the BOEDC board is to provide oversight of corporate activities, organizational output and performance, innovative initiatives, as well as advocating for the needs of the small businesses, commercial corridors, and the overall economic development of our borough. This new slate of board members will strengthen and reshape the vision of the BOEDC, centered around equity and empowering our small business community.
Phillip Grant, Chief Executive Officer – Hunts Point Market
- Phillip Grant is the Chief Executive Officer of the Hunts Point Produce Market. Phillip leads a team of approximately 110 staff that support the day-to-day operations of the largest wholesale produce market in the nation.
- Previously Phillip was the Senior Vice President and Director of Construction of the Asset Management Operations division of the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC).
- Phillip is a Licensed Professional Engineer in New York and a certified construction manager. He is a graduate of Fairleigh Dickenson University and holds and MBA from Mercy College.
Nallely DeJesus, Vice President – PWP Equities Corporation Vice President – National Supermarkets Association
- Nallely De Jesus is a second-generation Dominican-American from the Bronx currently serving as Vice President of PWP Equities Corporation, the parent company of her family’s nine-location supermarket chain that employs over 400 employees. De Jesus serves as the first female Vice President of the National Supermarkets Association.
- In 2012, De Jesus, a retail store manager, De Jesus implemented storewide operating procedures that drastically improves the bottom line, standardized training, and operating protocols, and improved the customer experience.
- De Jesus holds a bachelor’s degree in business accounting in 2015 and attended and extensive Executive Leadership Development Program at Cornell University in 2019.
Winston Peters, Business & Bronx Strategist – MyUberLife Consulting, Adjunct Professor – Manhattan College and Program Director of Entrepreneurs@MC
- As the principal of MyUberLife Business Consulting Group and Program Director of the Entrepreneur Center at Manhattan College in NYC, Winston provides creative and business solutions, strategies, support, and inspiration to individuals and companies that aim to make an impact on the world stage.
- MyUberLife Business Consulting Group offers tip-to-tail business solutions to the creative community, entrepreneurs, intrapreneurs, Fortune 500 companies, and other brands. Winston is also the founding partner of WULF University, an adjunct Professor at Manhattan College.
- Winston is a graduate of Manhattan College and holds a degree in Civil Engineering & Mathematics.
Lourdes Zapata rejoined SoBro in August 2019 as its President/CEO, becoming the first women and first Latina to lead this South Bronx economic development nonprofit corporation. Returning to SoBro is a homecoming for Zapata, who first walked through SoBro’s doors in 1997 as its Director of Community Development.
- Before rejoining SoBro, Zapata was appointed by Governor Andrew M. Cuomo as Chief Diversity Officer for the States of New York. Zapata also served the state as the Executive Vice President of the Division of Minority and Women’s Business Development at Empire State Development. Zapata’s public service also extends to her earlier tenure as Community Development Director for the City of Newburgh in Orange County, New York.
- Born and raised in the Bronx, Zapata received her master’s degree in Public Administration from New York University and her bachelor’s from Hood College in Frederick, Maryland.
Julio Reyes, Branch Manager in Retail Banking at Citizens Bank in New York City
- Julio leads teams to drive business performance through acquisition, coaching, business development, and retention of customer relationships.
- Julio also leads volunteerism efforts, financial literacy, and community development efforts in The Bronx/Westchester County markets. He has FINRA series SIE, 6, & 7 licenses. He is also a licensed life insurance agent in the state of N.Y. and a notary public, and has been trained in both consumer and commercial credit.
- He earned his AA in Business Administration and Management from the Borough of Manhattan Community College and his BBA in Business Administration with a Concentration in Finance from the City University of New York – Herbert H. Lehman College.
The Bronx Overall Economic Development Corporation (BOEDC) was established over four decades ago with the purpose of providing Bronx businesses access to resources and capital to help build a thriving community in the borough. The mission of the BOEDC is to strengthen and expand current Bronx-based businesses, as well as to provide incentives to encourage businesses to establish or relocate to The Bronx and maximize employment opportunities for Bronx residents.