The Office of the Bronx Borough President is seeking a motivated candidate to serve as a liaison between this agency and the Bronx Community Boards.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serves as liaison between this agency and other city agencies, local residents and community organizations for the purpose of providing assistance and public services to the community. Also, cultivates professional relationships with board members, district managers, elected official’s representatives, City agencies, community, business and faith-based groups.
- Articulates the Borough President’s message and vision on issues of public policy and service delivery and transmits information and special announcements at assigned public meetings.
- Works closely with the district managers to ensure the delivery of City services.
- Attends community board meetings, district service cabinet meetings, committee meetings and other community-based meetings as needed. Also, attends meetings and events as assigned by the Director of Community Boards.
- Participates in the planning, organization and implementation of programs and events involving community participation.
- Prepares and submits a written report to the Director of Community Boards on all assigned meetings.
- Maintains files, records, tracks constituent complaints and performs office tasks as assigned.
- The candidate must demonstrate strong organizational and writing skills.
- Must be a team player and enjoy working with people.
- Must demonstrate the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines.
- Must be available to attend evening and weekend events.
- Knowledge of City government and community boards desired.
- Must be computer literate.
- A Bachelors degree and two years of proven experience in community work, public service, public relations or related fields dealing with the public is desired;
- An associate degree and four (4) years of full-time experience as referenced above; or a High School diploma/equivalent and six years of full-time experience as previously indicated
Commensurate with skills and work experience.
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County.
The Office of the Bronx Borough President, an agency of the City of New York, is an equal opportunity employer.
Please e-mail resume to Thomas Lucania, Director of Community Boards at email@example.com or mail to 851 Grand Concourse, Room 209, Bronx, NY 10451 by Friday, August 2, 2018.
The Office of the Bronx Borough President is seeking undergraduate and graduate interns to gain valuable public service experience in one of the world’s greatest cities. Prospective interns must have an interest in improving the lives of residents in the Bronx and New York City along with a general knowledge of urban studies, economics and public policy. All internships will provide hands-on substantive experience and insight into the operations of a government agency. All interns will work with senior staff in a fast-paced and challenging environment.
About the Office
The Bronx is one of the most dynamic and diverse boroughs in New York City, and the Bronx Borough President is its chief elected official. The Bronx is currently experiencing a dramatic resurgence in economic development, affordable housing and employment. The Borough President works with the Mayor to prepare the annual executive budget submitted to the City Council, reviews and comments on major land use projects, proposes sites for City facilities within his jurisdiction, and develops strategic planning for the economic development of the borough. The Borough President also monitors the administration of City services and works with constituents and local organizations in order to meet the needs of Bronx residents.
Compensation: Unpaid and no reimbursements
Schedule: Interns can work part time or full time. Part time interns are required to work at least 12 hours a week. Interns are placed for the fall, winter break, spring, and summer semesters. Preference will be given to intern applicants who are eligible to receive academic credit.
To apply, please submit:
- A resume;
- A brief writing sample, preferably a piece of analytical, academic work;
- A cover letter stating your preference for the policy, economics, communications or legislative internship (feel free to select more than one), and your availability.
Please email your application to: Jeffrey Laufer. If you have any questions, Jeffrey Laufer can be reached at (718) 590-6116.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. The selection process is highly competitive and based on scholastic achievement and demonstrated interest in public policy. Please note, we ask that all applicants commit to working with us for at least 12 hours each week.
Thank you for your interest. We look forward to receiving your application.
The Office of the Bronx Borough President is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Education and Youth Intern
Description: The focus of the position is on research and review of education policy briefs and reports. Interns will be responsible for gathering and sorting data, preparing reports and summarizing their findings. Intern will have the opportunity to attend various educational roundtable discussions and policy briefings.
- Requires a strong interest in education, and/or urban policy
- Strong research skills.
- Strong writing, verbal and presentation skills.
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks/projects.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office: Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
Preference will be given to students that can receive academic credit for their time in our office.
Urban Policy Intern
Description: In this position, interns will work to research and write policy documents on a variety of local and social issues. Interns will have the opportunity to participate in substantive and independent research in several diverse areas of urban policy.
Qualifications: Requires a demonstrated interest in urban policy issues. Graduate students welcome to apply. Solid writing skills needed. Computer skills including competency with Microsoft Excel are helpful. The ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects concurrently is also helpful.
Description: In this internship, work is focused on researching the economic and social life of the Bronx and New York City. Interns are responsible for gathering data and researching policy matters to develop substantive quantitative information about a broad range of public policy issues. Recognizing the increasing complexity of policy issues, interns work to synthesize research and to prepare briefing materials, reports, charts, tables and spreadsheets.
Qualifications: Requires strong quantitative skills and an interest and knowledge in studying social and economic trends in public policy. Data analysis skills as well as solid writing, communication, and organizational skills required. Must have an intermediate to advanced level of proficiency with Microsoft Excel. Economics major preferred. Ability to work quickly, accurately and under deadline is also helpful.
Environmental Planning Intern
The Planning Bureau of the Bronx Borough President’s Office is seeking an intern to assist with the ongoing environmental, economic development, site remediation, and planning efforts in the Office of the Bronx Borough President’s Office.
In our continuing efforts to address long-term environmental degradation throughout The Bronx and to restore adversely affected and contaminated properties to healthier, cleaner, and productive community uses, the Planning Bureau is requesting applications from interested parties for the position of an Environmental Intern.
- Writing technical inter-office memoranda and correspondence.
- Representing the Office of the Bronx Borough President Planning Bureau in meetings and interactions with local developers, community stakeholders, property owners, NYSDEC, NYCDEP, and the NYC OER.
- Maintaining and updating environmental databases and documents.
- Editing, revising and presenting Power Point presentations.
- Compiling information on brownfields, NYC and NYS redevelopment programs, administration.
- Identifying environmental programs and policies that affect the Bronx and bringing them to the attention of Planning Bureau staff.
- Tracking the progress of sites enrolled in brownfield, brownfield opportunity area, and superfund programs.
- Identifying public notices and OER releases related to SPDES, brownfields, SEQRA, Title V and SWPPP.
- Additional related tasks, as assigned.
- We are seeking a person having a Graduate Degree or pursuing a Graduate Degree in any of the following fields: urban planning, environmental planning, environmental sciences, business administration, public administration, environmental preservation, geology, or geography.
- Professional experience in urban planning, environmental planning, environmental sciences, business administration, public administration, environmental preservation, geology, or geography.
- Skilled at Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Strong written, verbal, communication, and presentation skills.
- Familiarity with NYSDEC, NYCDEP and NYC permitting agencies advantageous.
- Professional presentation and demeanor.
- Master’s Degree.
- Knowledge of The Bronx and municipal government.